• Home
  • News
  • Meeting minutes and announcements

Meeting minutes and announcements

This is the SIBBA news blog. Here we will post meeting minutes, updates from cabinet members, and points of interest to our members.
<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
  • 13 Feb 2018 6:18 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Dear Sirs and Ma'ams:

    The SIBBA Cabinet will be holding their next meeting on Saturday, Feb 17, 2018, in the Forker Building on ISU campus from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM. Attached is the planned agenda for that meeting.

    2-17-18 SIBBA Cabinet Meeting posted Agenda.doc

  • 13 Jan 2018 11:38 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Dear Sirs and Ma'ams:

    Applications for the 2018 Jared Ringstad Scholarship, Junior Olympic Scholarship, collegiate Academic and collegiate Leadership scholarships are now available. Applications and all supporting documents must be received by the SIBBA secretary no later than Feb 15th, 2018.

    Details for all scholarships are available on our Resources page.

    Jared Ringstad Scholarhip:  $150

    Junior Olympic Scholarhip: $250

    Academic Scholarship:  $1,000

    Leadership Scholarship: $1,000

  • 13 Jan 2018 11:33 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    SIBBA Member Meeting

    1.6.18   1:00 to 3:13 PM

    Virtual – 515-604-9023 – access 704697

     

    Present: Master(s) L. Voorhees (Acting President/Treasurer), T. Nickell (Secretary), K. Scoggin (Judo Delegate), M. Hamann (At-Large Delegate), Dr. Carmichael (Taekwondo Delegate), S. Johnson (Scoreboards)

     

    Absent: Master(s) Tellinghuisen (Webmaster), Dr. McAndrews (Hapkido Delegate)

     

    The meeting was called to order at 1:02PM. 

     

    • I.                     Roll call was taken.
    • II.                    Minutes were approved from 4/29/2017.  (LV – 1st, MH-2nd, All approved.)
    • III.                 Treasurer’s Report - L. Voorhees provided the Treasurer’s report.
    • a.       The Checking Account has $1427.00
    • b.       We have two investment accounts which total $79,897.60
    •                                                                i.      Jared Ringstad (fund The Bond Fund of America (ABNDX) ) : $5,205.16
    •                                                              ii.      General Fund (all others) : $74,692.44
    • IV.                Scholarships
    • a.       We discussed the scholarships available – Jared Ringstad ($150); Junior Olympic ($250); Academic ($400) and Leadership ($400).  After much discussion, a motion was made to increase the Academic and Leadership Scholarships to $1,000 each.  (Motion – MH – 1st, Dr. C – 2nd, All approved.)  The Ringstad and Junior Olympic will remain as is.  L. Voorhees will update the current application forms and send out via blackbelt lists, social media, SIBBA website and possibly a postcard to SIBBA membership database. 
    • V.                  Black Belt Reunion
    • a.       In the past couple years, Black Belt Reunion has gathered 40-50 people.   The charge has been $10 per person.  This covers the rough expense of $500 for the venue and finger foods.  The Board weighed the pros and cons of changing the venue, but opted to continue hosting the BBR at Quality Inn due to safety and proximity.  The cost will be $10-$12.  We will determine the exact admission fee at the February meeting. 
    • b.       SIBBA Inventory – It was determined that the inventory has been sitting too long and it could be used for marketing purposes.  A motion was made to distribute leftover inventory at the Black Belt Reunion with a possible Instagram/Facebook photo challenge.  (Motion – TN – 1st, KS – 2nd, All Approved)
    • c.       Entertainment at BBR – Karaoke was agreed upon.  L Voorhees will line that up at a cost to SIBBA of $300. 
    • d.       Sound System – L Voorhees will bring his Sound System for availability if needed.
    • VI.                Banquet
    • a.       Pak Family Fundraiser Report from 2017 and Update for 2018 – M. Hamann will insert information into Banquet Packet. He requested that  J Tellinghuisen or Dr. McAndrews provide this information to him to insert into the packets.
    • b.       SIBBA Board will provide Scholarship awards to recipients at Banquet.
    • VII.               Annual Meeting
    • a.       M Hamann will secure a location for the Annual Meeting. 
    • b.       L Voorhees will provide the agenda and distribute it electronically (email and website.)
    • c.       The meeting will start at 3pm to allow more time for attendees to be ready for social hour at 5pm.
    • d.       Open Positions –
    •                                                                i.      Treasurer – L Voorhees is stepping down.  M Hamann is willing to stand for election.
    •                                                              ii.      Delegates – All delegates will vie for their current positions, with the exception of:
    • 1.       Taekwondo - Dr. Carmichael is stepping down and S. Johnson is willing to stand for election.
    • 2.       At-Large – This position will be open if M Hamann becomes Treasurer.  L Voorhees is willing to stand in for election.
    • e.       Positions no longer needed –
    •                                                                i.      Webmaster – J Tellinghuisen is stepping down.  This position is being absorbed by others.
    •                                                              ii.      Scoreboards – This position is no longer needed.
    • VIII.             Amendments to ByLaws
    • a.       L Voorhees presented a few amendments to the ByLaws for immediate action on. 
    • b.       A motion was made to approve nine of the items and to table one: moved by MH, 2nd by Dr. C

                                                                   i.      Article III – Purpose, Section 3.1.3, strike “provide”, replace with “support and encourage

                                                                 ii.      Article III – Purpose, Section 3.1, add subpoint 6, “To foster the continued legacy of the Pak Family of Martial Arts.

                                                               iii.      Article IV – Members, Section 4.1.2, replace “the” with “who

                                                               iv.      Article IV – Members, Section 4.4.2, strike “other than chair”, and replace with “as appointed by the President”

                                                                 v.      Article IV – Members, Section 4.4.3, replace “Treasurer” with “Secretary

                                                               vi.      Article IV – Members, Section 4.9.2, insert “including as chair of a committee”, delete “nor serve as chair of any committees.”

                                                              vii.      Article IV – Members, Section 5.5 – Quorum. Reduce required quorum from 15 to 10 members, insert the word “full”.

                                                            viii.      Article VIII – Meetings of the Cabinet. Insert “Meetings need not be physical, and may be held virtually.”

                                                                ix.      Article XI – Standing Committees – delete entire Article, renumber remaining articles.

    • c.       There was much discussion on the following ByLaw and it was determined not to act on it at this meeting, but to table it.

                                                                   i.      Article IV – Members, Section 4.4.1 “Powers of Members”, strike “and members”, add “or”, strike “and/or the sale, lease, exchange, or disposition of all or any property and assets of the SIBBA”

    • d.       The following ByLaws which require Vote of Membership at Annual Meeting were discussed and a motion was made to postpone these amendments until the new Cabinet is in place in April. (TN – 1st, Dr. C – 2nd, In favor – MH and KS.  Opposed – LV.)

                                                                   i.      Article VI – The Cabinet

    1.       Section 6.1 – eliminate reference to Delegates

    2.       Section 6.2 – eliminate 6.2.2, change 6.2.3 to read “three” consecutive terms or “nine” years in office, eliminate 6.2.4, renumber Section

    3.       Section 6.4 – delete “five Cabinet members”, replace with “one officer”, delete sentence 2, referring to Delegate candidates.

    4.       Section 6.5 – delete reference to Standing Committees, replace so it reads “all committees and committee chairs, as needed.”

    5.       Sections 6.8 and 6.9 – delete, renumber section.

    • IX.                 Other Business
    • a.       NCJA – K Scoggin inquired on the payment system for the NCJA as SIBBA hosted it four years ago.  Per M. Hamann, the payments will be done through a system on campus which will go directly through the Judo club account.  M. Hamann indicated the University overhead is 5%.
    • X.                   Next Meeting
    • a.       The next meeting will be held shortly after Taekwondo promotions on February 17, 2018 at 12:30 pm.  Master Hamann will determine the location.
    • XI.                 Adjournment – M. Hamann made a motion to adjourn and K. Scoggin seconded.  Meeting was adjourned at 3:13pm.
  • 06 Jan 2018 10:17 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    SIBBA Cabinet Meeting Agenda

     

    Date:    1-6-18

    Time:    1:00 PM CST

    Location: Virtual – 515-604-9023, access code 704697

     

    Agenda:

    I.                    Roll Call

    II.                 Minutes of Previous Session

    III.               Treasurer’s Report

    IV.              Scholarships

    V.                 Black Belt Reunion

    VI.              Annual Martial Arts Banquet

    VII.            Annual Meeting of SIBBA

    VIII.         Proposed Amendments to Bylaws

    IX.              Other Business

    X.                 Setting of Next Meeting

    Adjournment
  • 26 Apr 2015 8:55 PM | Anonymous

    SIBBA Meeting 4/25/15

    Present at meeting: Tony Lamping, Seth Miller, Dr.Mani Mina, Matt Haman, and Esther Fraser.

    The meeting was called to order at 5:15pm.

    The board chose to table the minutes from the last meeting until our next meeting.

    Tony Lamping presented the agenda.


    1) Agenda and calendar for the rest of 2015.

    A)  Calendar of events for the year:

    -  Esther will put together a calendar of events for SIBBA and post it to the website. 

    - Meetings: SIBBA will have four quarterly in-person meetings including the annual meeting in March.  Quarterly for 2015: March and April 25th meetings, June 27th, September TBD and, November TBD. There will need to be some interim meetings for scholarship decisions prior to the March 2016 meeting.  Matt Haman  moved that we have the November meeting on the evening of the SIBBA Symposium.  On the Friday evening before the Symposium we could have a dinner for the instructors to make them feel more welcome.  The board agreed to this idea.

    - Matt Haman has received feedback that SIBBA should do seminars and programs other than only the Symposium and include community outreach.  Matt gave an example of a program on self-defense with police officers to teach the program.  Dr. Mina suggested a Hapkido for Taekwondo practitioners class. 

    - Tony Lamping discussed his SIBBA authorized program idea.  SIBBA could have authorized instructors who will go to a school and lead a program.  The money from the program participants would go to pay the instructor, to the school for facility use, and to SIBBA.  For example, SIBBA could have a CPR and First Aid certification as a program for member schools. 

    - Tony Lamping suggested we find someone to help work on the website.

    -  Tony Lamping would like to have two people to work on membership.


    2) Our bylaws and stated policies  could be better organized.  SIBBA needs to establish clearer policies and directions to work on in the future.

    - Policies relating to scholarships need to be clearer. See agenda item number 3 for further discussion of scholarships.

    - The policy for request of funds and what qualifies to receive funds needs to be clearer.  Matt said it needs to be a martial arts related competition or seminar.  Seth suggested a maximum dollar amount.  Tony questioned team competition versus individual – what qualifies.  Tony made a motion that we  have a committee consisting of a person from each discipline (TKD, Hapkido, and Judo respectively) discuss and refine the request for funds process.  Matt Haman, Esther Fraser, Seth Miller, and Mani Mina agreed to meet for discussion.

    - Tony Lamping stated that SIBBA needs an updated privacy of member information policy.


    3) Scholarships.

    - In the past year very few students applied for academic and leadership scholarships.  Tony Lamping stated he would like to adjust the scholarship restrictions to loosen the qualifications so more students will apply.  He would also like to see an increase in scholarship dollar amount.

    -  Recommendations: increase to two leadership scholarships, one for a highschooler pursuing college entrance, and, one for a student already in college.  Or put one of the leadership scholarships toward a student’s martial arts schooling.   

    - Matt Haman suggested we add a recognition for exemplary service to the awards.  We could call it the Grandmaster Pak Recognition award for exemplary service.  Students could nominate someone in their club.  It would include a monetary award to go to the school. 


    4) Scoring equipment:

    - Tony Lamping said there is a need to clarify our policies regarding the scoring equipment.  For example, we should consider the travel arrangements for people who use it.  If a SIBBA member has to drive the equipment, we would need to pay their mileage.  Or we could have the person using it transport it.  There is also the question of training the user and whether a technician should be available to operate it.  Seth suggested looking at newer equipment.  Matt and Tony said the equipment is costly and changes frequently. 

    - Tony said he will contact Shane Johnson to look at the need for updating our SIBBA scoring equipment.

    -  Matt Haman stated that screen size is an issue with the scoring systems.  Matt Haman suggested we upgrade the size of the monitors because it would be easier to use and more attractive to users.


    5) School Membership.

    Tony Lamping pointed out that we have a school membership option.  SIBBA needs to refine the policy on that.  What it includes etc.  Tony suggested they pay their dues and they get one representative – delegate in SIBBA to represent their school – then we can work on getting individual members from the schools. 


    The meeting was adjourned at 6:30pm.


  • 11 Mar 2015 2:25 PM | Anonymous

    Meeting called to order at 4:16 pm.


    Treasurer report:

    Symposium:

    $1,440 incoming 

    Farrell's donated location at Beaverdale

    $900 cost (including water bottles)


    Donations:

    $1500 to ITA to support taekwondo state championship

    $400 to Two Rivers tournament for M. Wickham's referee seminar


    In account:

    $3773.63 as of December 31, 2014
    $2665.61 as of February 28, 2015
    Investments total just under $60,000.

    $1840 in memberships last year


    Judo report by Dr. Soeren Prell:

    Iowa Games held in Leid Rec center this year

    State of Iowa Championships hosting duties rotating between 3 clubs mow.

    VEISHEA is no more, replaced by Iowa Governor's Cup. Hosted by Teikieatsu Judo.

    Collegiate Team is now practicing continuously through the year.

    New Judo club under GM Son, and instructed by Seth Miller.


    Taekwondo report by Janine Tellinghuisen/Erin Carpenter/Matt Hamann:

    Online registration was used for CY Championships, and venue changed to The Plex. 

    Exploring the possibility of a scholarship in Chuck Henry's memory.

    ITA hosted a sparring seminar with Phelps Sport Taekwondo and the first state championships Iowa has had in a long time.

    Several schools are pursuing a collegiate midwest league.


    Hapkido report by Tony Lamping:

    Now 4 hapkido schools in Iowa.

    Tony is teaching hapkido for GM Chung Lee in Chicago.

    Possibility of a SIBBA-sponsored educational/training trip to Korea.

    Master Hayes at UofI has retired, his senior student has assumed his teaching position.


    Discussion of policies:

    Scholarships are not getting a lot of attention; need to bring them up to the standards of today.

    Many other policies are un-detailed and/or out of date. Need to rewrite many policies and procedures.

    Need a stronger focus on the organization's purpose: help other programs, educate martial artists. Be more aggressive about SIBBA's purpose. 


    Elections:

    Nominations opened.

    Secretary - Esther Fraser

    Judo - Kenwood Scoggin

    Taekwondo - Janine Tellinghuisen

    Hapkido - Dr. Mani Mina (with the help of Moriah Morgan)

    At-Large - Matt Hamann


    Erin Carpenter moves to close nominations.

    Jon Emery seconds.

    Tony asks if all in favor of electing the nominees.

    Passes unanimously.


    Meeting adjourns at 5:04PM.

  • 11 Mar 2015 2:07 PM | Anonymous

    In attendance: Erin Carpenter, Soeren Prell, David Carpenter, Richard Puhl, Esther Fraser, Mani Mina, Matt Hamann, Tony Lamping, Seth Miller.


    Meeting called to order at 5:09 pm.


    Old news: CY Championships used online registration. Master Henry donations. Symposium was held at Farrell's.


    Membership: ~176


    Hapkido: the art is growing, more seminars are available. Dr. Master Hayes is retiring. Dr. Master Mina gave a presentation on high dan test requirements. GM Son is doing seminars. 


    Taekwondo: State Championships upcoming. Much cooperation across the state. Loss of Master Chuck Henry to cancer.


    Judo: State Championships in Des Moines. Collegiate Nationals will be at West Point in April. GM Son is starting a judo class.


    Discussion on services to members, defining "vision", scholarships, donation to Iowa Taekwondo Alliance.


    Tony motions to make a donation to the ITA in an amount TBD by December 19.

    Seth seconds.

    All yea.


    Adjourn at 7:25 pm.

  • 06 Oct 2014 10:22 PM | Anonymous
    SIBBA Meeting   |   October 4, 2014 @ 7:30am  |  Forker Building, Iowa State University
    Present: Anthony Lamping (via video), Erin Carpenter, Janine Tellinghuisen, Shane Johnson, Sarah Carney, Seth Miller, Dr. Soren Prell, Matt Hamann

    ---

    Reports from Officers:
    Treasurer
    • Online registration for the CY Championship is going well.
    • Donations to Master Henry's family can be addressed to their home address: 920 N Spruce, Creston IA 50810
    At Large
    • Master Henry was awarded 6th Dan by Grandmaster Pak and presented to his family by Master Matthew Hamann on September 30, 2014
    • On November 1, Seth Miller and Matt Hamann will travel to Souix Falls, South Dakota to perform a Hapkido demonstration for Suzie Walgrave's school.
    Taekwondo
    • Registrations and preparations for the October 18 CY Championships are going well.
    Judo
    • Judo has two local tournaments coming up in October and November. The November tournament is being hosted in Des Moines and it's important we go and support so the event can become annual.
    • The State Senior Olympics were held in West Des Moines over the summer and Judo was a demonstration sport with about 20 spectators. If all goes well, Judo could be come a demonstration sport on the national level and eventually an official sport.
    • Cyclone Martial Arts Judo is happy to have a steady group of 10 women attending.
    Hapkido
    • Heuk Choo Kwan USA is celebrating it's 6th Anniversary with a two-day event hosted by Grandmaster Son at Black Eagle Martial Arts in West Des Moines. Several CMAC Hapkido students plan to attend.
    • There will be no October testing, instead just one big December testing.
    • Dr. Mina and Master Pilch will be exhibiting at the December testing - presentations and demonstrations of their advanced study in Hapkido.
    • Self-defense seminars are in high demand at CMAC
    Technology
    • The Eastern Iowa Taekwondo Championships went well.  Only a minor computer issue, easily resolved.
    • No word on how the Fort Dodge tournament went, no news is good news?
    • Shane Johnson and team are considering a new checklist to help inventory items as they're being packed up rather than when they arrive back at the CMAC dojang.
    • Dr. Carmichael had a suggestion about putting monitors in boxes.
    Other Business

    Advanced Rank Testing (3rd Dan and above): We plan to continue discussing how advanced black belt degrees are tested for.  Right now, they are full-out physical testings, but a more philosophical and service-oriented evaluation might better reflect accomplishments and expectations. This topic came up when discussing Dr. Mina's upcoming December exhibition which may serve as his 4th degree test.

    Scholarship in Master Henry's Honor:  The SIBBA is interested in presenting an annual academic scholarship in honor of Master Henry.  Seth Miller will write to the family and express our wish.  The scholarship could then be announced at the 2015 banquet.

    Erin Carpenter and Dr. Prell's terms will be ending in February and will not see re-nomination.  We will need to seek to fill those posts.

    Grandmaster Pak has requested that we announce that this will be the 40th Annual Cyclone Martial Arts Awards Banquet.

    ---

    SIBBA Symposium - November 8 2014 at Farrell's U.S. Martial Arts & Fitness in Des Moines
    Rough Proposed Schedule (Subject to change, if need be. Correct me if I've misremembered.)
    • Morning Session 1
      • Yoga (Irene Faas)
      • Judo ground/locking (TBD)
    • Morning Session 2
      • Wushu (Anthony Wharton)
      • Defense Against Weapons (Grandmaster Son)
    • Afternoon Session 1
      • Golden Gentle Hapkido (Dr. Mina)
      • History of Women in Martial Arts (Sarah Carney)
    • Afternoon Session 2
      • Defense With a Weapon (???) Who can arrange this?
      • Kicking for Poomsae (Erin Carpenter)
      • Self-Defense (Ken Pilch)
    Possible back-up options:
    • Self-defense (Sarah Carney & Tim Sklenar)
    • Tai Chi (Gina McAndrews)
    • Falling (Seth Miller and Matt Hamann)
    • Jee Kun Do (? Matt Hamann can check on that?)
    • Sparring (Suzie Walgrave)
    • Weapons (Master Guy)
    Confirm instructor and class line up this week.
    • Dr. Prell will arrange for a Judo-oriented grappling/choke/lock class
    • Sarah Carney will speak with Dr. Mina re: Golden Gentle Hapkido, and Master Pilch re: self-defense
    • Janine Tellinghuisen will speak to Irene Faas about yoga, and if necessary, Gina McAndrews about Tai Chi.
    • Seth Miller will speak to Grandmaster Son about defense against weapons and Anthony Warton re: Wushu.
    When getting confirmation, remember to wrestle a class description out right away.  Put feelers out for a back-up option as soon as we know we might need to.

    Confirmed:
    • Erin Carpenter will teach kicking for poomsae
    • Sarah Carney will present on the history of women in martial arts
    Registration:
    • Can go live in just a few minutes.  We just need to have a schedule in place.
    Food
    • Mrs. Son (Black Eagle Martial Arts) will cater Korean fare.  SIBBA will pay $300
    Participation Gift
    • Anthony Lamping will arrange for something between $6 and $12 ea.  Suggestions were journal/clipboard, water bottle, sunglasses, etc.

    That's all - thank you sirs and ma'ams!
<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit, SIBBA was formed for educational and charitable purposes relating to martial arts. 
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software